The sausage & peppers are served over a bowl of spaghetti squash. By doing this, you save on your carb intake and while the squash is higher on the GI scale than some vegetables, it is a much better option than pasta.
1 medium spaghetti squash
1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
6 turkey or chicken sausage links
4 bell peppers (1 red, 1 orange, 1 green, 1 yellow)
1 large red onion
3 tbsp. light olive oil
2 tbsp. Italian seasoning
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Slice the spaghetti squash lengthwise & scoop out all seeds
- With a pastry brush, drizzle extra virgin olive oil and brush the meat of the squash
- Place face down on an ungreased baking sheet & bake for 45-60 minutes
- After baking, take a fork & run it lengthwise through the flesh of the squash to create the “spaghetti”
Sausage & Peppers:
- In a large skillet, brown the sausage (approximately 10-15 minutes) over med heat
- Slice peppers & onions into strips & cut in half
- Removed sausage and place on paper towel to remove excess oil (do not drain pan)
- Slice each sausage into 4-5 pieces & place in a bowl
- Add peppers & onions to hot skillet and add the light olive oil & Italian seasoning. Sautee above for approximately 5 minutes over a medium heat (until onions look translucent)
- Add sliced sausage, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
To serve: In a bowl, place 1 cup of spaghetti squash and top off with 4-5 slices of sausage and add in the amount of peppers & onions as desired.